To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Great Weekend

So I didn't get to the pictures. Not that big of a surprise to me. I'll be at my moms later tonight so I hoping to get at least my favorite pictures sent to my email. There are a few that I just love so much, like my grandpa Joe and his collection of lanterns!

I met my cousin, Lynda for the first time yesterday. We were guided to each other when I first started my genealogy hunt and finally after a few months of back and forth emailing we met. It was really amazing, a lot of tears were spilled by both of us. It was just an emotional day, getting to meet someone I had no idea existed and then hearing stories of my 2x Great Grandparents. Stories that would be lost without Lynda.

Lynda filled me in on the family religion and what different things mean. It was truly just so amazing. I will be forever grateful that she wanted to meet with me, and I see more visits in our future. She talked about me and my daughter visiting at her house and us going through old pictures. That would be just amazing, I know I keep using that word to describe our meeting, but there literally isn't a better word to describe how I was feeling the entire time. Just cloud 9.

She took me to my 2x Great Grandparents graves. The graves I have looked for on different times and honestly I would have never found them without her showing me. I plan to return to pay my respects. Like I have mentioned before the family were practicing Jews, Lynda still is a practicing Jew and she taught me quite a bit. Did you know when visiting a Jewish grave you do not bring flowers ever, you bring stones. Stones to leave on the tombstone to represent that you were there paying your respect. Boggles my mind.

There was just so much that we talked about, I am honestly still processing it all so I am sure over the next few days I will have post after post of me just talking about Lynda.



What did you do this weekend?


Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment