To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Confusion

I am living in a state of confusion.

I learn one thing, find a document and it contradicts what I had originally learned. Back to square one. It is so frustrating.

I think what frustrates me the most is the mystery behind will I ever truly know? I feel like it always is coming back to Nathan and Leah too. At least the past couple days that is how it has been. I keep meaning to get to their grave sites. I am honestly not sure what I hope to learn from their tombstones. I mean at most realistically it is going to say their names, dates of births, and death dates. Nothing more. Nothing less. So what can I learn from them? Nothing. And yet I continue to hold onto this thought that maybe I will learn something I had not already known. What I really wish I would learn is where they are from. Some documents I have found say Russia, and then others as well as long lost family members are saying Poland. Who or what am I supposed to believe?

The documents? Or word of mouth?

And I think we all know that it has been proven (in this blog specifically) that oral history needs to be taken with a very large portion of salt!

I think for the remainder of the day I am going to focus on maps in the early 1900s. It has been suggested that the reason for differing opinions on where Nathan and Leah were born could be because, "...at different times,  The Russian Government controlled the part of Poland (the Shtetles) where the Jewish immigrants came from.  These places such as Ciechenow are now in Poland but in 1903, the russians could have controlled Birth registrations."

So are we considered Russian or Polish? I think those are hugely different nationalities!


Well I am off to bury my nose in 1903 maps of Russia and Poland, maybe I will find something. That would be awesome but I am not going to hold my breath.



Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment