To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dead end?

Although I have only started my search days earlier, and have found many family facts I feel that I have basically hit a dead end in all that I am able to find. It is has been very discouraging. So I reached out, through message boards on Acestry.com I asked for help in my search. I definitely received that help too! Although I was looking for help in finding Nathan and Leah's parents, I found new information about Nathan and Leah that not even my Grandmother knew!

A very kind stranger assisted me with my search and was able to find Roy and Helen (Anna) marriage license! I was not even aware that Helen was my Great Grandmother's real name. Growing it was always Anna, so to see Helen on the marriage certificate definitely surprised me. I was also shocked to learn that my Great Grandfather (Roy) was a fireman!

In the county of Livingston, town of Caledonia Roy McCormick married Helen Sadick on July 10, 1928. Helen was only 18 years old and Roy was 21 years old at the time of their marriage. They planned to live at 6 Payne Street in Rochester, New York. Roy was born in Rochester, New York his fathers name was George McCormick and George was born in the USA, now where in the US it does not list, but another myster solved. Roy's mothers name was Minnie Pease, she was born in Rochester, New York.

Helen was born in Syracuse, New York and was a clerk at the time of their marriage.

The bigest shock came when reading about Nathing and Leah/Lena's birth places. Russia! No one in the family knew we were from Russia. I knew I was only the 4th generation living in America, but I had no idea that we were from Russia! It now makes sense why I can not find anything about Nathan and Leah/Lena before 1913! They clearly immigrated to the US in1913!

                                                           Roy and Helen's marriage license


Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment