To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where to start..

I guess right at the beginning of it all.

On my mom's side of family I have lots and lots of Aunts and Uncles (12 to be exact, 22 through marriage), my grandparents passed away when I was younger and my grandmother I sadly never even got to meet her. On my dad's side I have 1 Aunt and an Uncle through marriage. My grandparents are both still alive, but I have never met anyone of my Grandfathers side. In fact no one has ever really even talked of them.
All through out high school I would constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) asked if I was related to a Colleen Wurzer. Each and every time I would have to explain that yes most likely I was, just that I knew nothing about her and had never met her. Colleen is most likely my Grandfather sister's daughter!
So from my Paternal Grandmother and Grandfather's family I only know my Grandmothers. And even then I only know the immediate family. You know Grandma's Mom and sisters. That's it. Where did we come from, when did my ancestors come to America. How did we get here? What were they like, what did they go through? Have always been questions I have wondered, but no one knows the answers.

On my Maternal Grandmother and Grandfather's side of the family I know even LESS. If that is truly possible. By the time I was a teenager my Grandfather and Grandmother has passed away. My mother never really talked about her mother or father so the information I know about them is slim to none. And of course I wondered all the same questions.

What I do know or at least what is oral history..
I am very much German. Both sides very very German. I am also Irish and Hebrew. My Paternal Grandmother's family at one time were practicing Jews.

Now do you understand why I would wonder all these questions, and have a yearning to learn about where I am from.



So here I am on the cusp of my journey to find out where I am from, and I am so excited. I want to learn it all good and bad. And you my friends are going to learn it all with me!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment