To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Friday, April 13, 2012

And the excitement swells yet again

I have made my family well aware of my quest. Boy am I glad I did too. When I arrived at my mothers for a normal visit I was shocked to find that she had gone through her family records and found not only my Grandfather's death certificate, but my Grandmothers death certificate, AND my Grandmothers father's death certificate! On top of that she also had my Grandfathers Honorable Discharge from the Military papers, his baptism certificate and a very detail family tree from my Grandmother's side of the family.

And so the excitement swelled once again as I poured over these records. We discovered many things, some of which none in the family had any idea about!

Our first discovery was a simple middle name. My Grandfather (Joe) always told how he did not have a middle name, on his baptism record it clearly states that his full name to be Joseph William. My Grandfathers side of the family is still a mystery to all of us, but I plan to change that.

The family tree is such an amazing find. It goes all the way back to my Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather and Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother! I love looking at it and finding out new information I had never known. Many family members have been named after each other and I am proud in my decision of giving my daughter my Grandmothers name as her middle name (Lucille).

Through oral history it was always told on my mothers side that there are twins that "skip generations", from the family tree it was very apparent that this is the case. As long as the twins listed are fraternal twins, of course I am not sure we will ever find that information, but at least 1 set of the twins are fraternal that much is very clear (girl, boy twins).


                                                             Rath Family Tree



Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment