To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain perpetually a child. For what is the worth of a human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 B.C.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Processing it all

I was determined to find out more about my Grandfathers father Joseph Gross and his wife Louise Gross, and I did just that.

If you recall in my last post I talked about how I have a copy of Marie Douchette's baptism record but I was not sure if Marie was Louise or her sister or even her mother. I now know that, that baptism record belongs to my Great Grandmother Louise. Her first name was Marie with the middle name Louise. Douchette, is the incorrect spelling it is actually Doucet. We are indeed from Canada, but we come from France originally.

Russian and French. Not something I was expecting. Honestly the entire family has always felt that we were mainly German with a touch of Irish, but now I am really starting to wonder how much German we actually have in us!

I was able to do a simple Google search on "Joseph Gross married Louise", the very first link was to Ryeland Family Tree through another very simple search on their site I was able to find Joseph Gross married to Louise Doucet. I was then able to track Marie Louise parentage as far back as the 1500s! So you can understand why my brain was just so fried on family history overload yesterday. But of course in the most amazing way. Tim Ryeland has done an amazing job on his website and one day I hope to be able to start my own and for it to look half as great and complete as Tim's!

From looking through his family tree it became very apparent to me that we are related! I decided to send a quick email to Tim and let him know that I would be more than happy to help fill some more information in on my Grandpa Joe as he did not have much.

I got a response back from Tim just this morning jumping at the chance. It turns out that Tim's connection with my family is much closer than I ever would have guessed. Marie Louise Doucet was also the mother of Tim's wife's grandmother.

To have a connection to that side of family that 3 days ago I would have never thought I would be able to make is just amazing. I feel like the past couple days that word is the only one I have been using, but honestly it is the only way that I am able to describe it all. And even the word amazing I feel does not do justice to what I am actually feeling.

Tim was so kind to share 2 pictures he had of Louise with me. I had never seen her before these pictures so to put a face to my Great Grandmother, just so amazing. And I definitely see my Grandpa Joe in her face!

Although I was not able to find much more about Joseph Gross I know in due time that I will. I have found so much out about my ancestors this past week it is just so crazy to me. It just makes me even more excited to find more out. I can not wait til my daughter is older and to be able to tell her all of this. Once I am satisfied with what I have learned of my family I will start on her fathers side of the family so not only will I be able to tell her where she comes from on my side, but his side as well.


Louise with her 2 brothers

Louise with her granddaughter Karen



Nikki
hello to my German readers :) leave a comment, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment